Hinges coming to life

Had the time today to put together a simple jig for aligning the hinge pieces when gluing. Only using cracy glue/cyanoacrylate for the moment, will try to get hold of chloroform later. It dissolves the acrylic instead of gluing, so it will both be stronger and look better. And it's a bit more dangerous to … Continue reading Hinges coming to life

Two material tests for a new purse lining

I've had a couple of failures when it comes to the purse lining. First I tried sewing, but with a semi rigid material, that didn't work well. Then I found out the material I was testing didn't take folding all that well. For a origami look, that's not good.  Formulor.de is the same type of … Continue reading Two material tests for a new purse lining

Creating with RazorLAB: From idea to laser-cut parts

I've used different, local Norwegian companies to create my parts before. Laser cutting acrylic and stainless steel, acrylic sheet bending and water jet aluminum cutting. So why is RazorLAB such a big step forward? Latest parts delivered from RazorLAB. They explain up-front what you need to do. Limitations, examples, howto's, templates, etc. (links). No email … Continue reading Creating with RazorLAB: From idea to laser-cut parts

New acrylic parts arrived, but unusable

Just got new acrylic parts delivered from Plastkomponenter, but they are unusable. Top and bottom are not parallel, and the handles will not join nicely. Crrrrap :/ Latest version of the design looks like this: So, what now? Figure I could make a cast and try vacuum bagging (in Norwegian). If you heat acrylic sheets … Continue reading New acrylic parts arrived, but unusable

Purse designing: It takes as long as it takes

Nothing much has happened in a while. At least not until the last couple of weeks, but now things are happening. I've made the first real prototype, and it has come as far as it ever will. The design has a lot of issues, but has also given me some good answers and new ideas. … Continue reading Purse designing: It takes as long as it takes

Designing purses: First parts arrived

The acrylic parts for the first prototype has arrived. Looks really good. The bend angles are correct and the bends doesn't have cracks from bend tension. Aluminum parts are expected next friday. Hoping the blue color comes from the protection layer. Because of the production process, the top and bottom needed to be at least … Continue reading Designing purses: First parts arrived

Designing purses, part 2

Since last blog post about becomming a purse designer I've continued with idea #2. First task was to decide on proportions for the purse and all the different parts. That was last friday. Today I've been working on the hinges, connectiong the two parts that form the outer shell. Not sure yet, but I might … Continue reading Designing purses, part 2